Frequently asked questions

How do I ask for information about pending cases or decisions?

Enquiries about cases pending at the Supreme Court can be made to the Registry, which is open on weekdays 8:00–16:15. The Registry's e-mail address is korkein.oikeus(at), the visiting address is Pohjoisesplanadi 3, and the phone number is +358 (0)2956 40050. Representatives of the media can also send their enquiries to the Supreme Court Communications Unit (tel. +358 (0)2956 40052, +358 (0)2956 40060, viestinta.kko(at)

How can I find a Supreme Court decision online?

The most recent precedents (in Finnish and Swedish) are published on the Supreme Court website . Decisions are published on the website at 9:00 am on the day of the issuance of the decision. Older precedents can be found in the Finlex Data Bank at . In addition to precedents, Finlex also has updated information about leaves to appeal and decisions other than precedents.

For which court decisions can I apply for a leave to appeal or file a request for a review?

As a rule, you can apply for a leave to appeal in matters that have been first processed by the District Court followed by the Court of Appeal ( If the Supreme Court grants you the leave to appeal, the matter will be processed by the Supreme Court as a matter of judicial review. In some cases, the Supreme Court accepts requests for review on decisions given by the Insurance Court ( and the Market Court (, as well as the District Court ( decisions that the District Court has given in its capacity as a Land Court.

A leave to appeal a District Court decision can be applied for directly from the Supreme Court if the case constitutes a precedent. However, filing a precedent appeal is subject to the consent of the opposing party as well as a leave to appeal granted by the Supreme Court.

Whether the matter is eligible for review is apparent from the decision issued by the court of previous instance and the appended instructions for appeal.

How long does the Supreme Court process take?

The duration of the processing an application for a leave to appeal is approximately four to six months. If the leave to appeal is granted, the total duration of the application and the review process itself is approximately 16–18 months.

Can I ask for legal advice from the Supreme Court?

Because courts must be impartial, they cannot give legal advice to any party to a case or to any other entity. For assistance in legal matters, you can turn to a legal aid office or a lawyer, for example.

Can I file an application for a leave to appeal and the request for review by myself or should I consult a lawyer?

It is advisable to use the help of a legal expert to draft the documents. Attorneys must meet certain qualifications (see Code of Judicial Procedure 15:2 §).

Can I file an application for an annulment of a judgment or a complaint regarding a possible procedural error by myself?

This is no longer possible. The obligation to retain an attorney in matters regarding the annulment of a judgment or a complaint regarding a procedural error has been in force since the beginning of 2013.

Can the time limit for filing a request for a review be extended?

The time limit for filing a request for a review in matters regarding a leave to appeal is 60 days and in a matter considered by a Court of Appeal as the court of first instance 30 days from the date of issued of the Court of Appeal decision. The time limit for filing a request for a review cannot be extended.

However, if an appellant has not been able to request for a review within the time limit due to a lawful excuse or other compelling reason, the Supreme Court may grant a new time limit for the appellant. An application for a new time limit must be submitted to the Supreme Court within 30 days from the termination of the excuse or, at the latest, within one year of expiry of the time limit. If the application for a new time limit is successful, the Supreme Court will set a new time limit by which the application for a leave to appeal or a complaint must be filed with the Court of Appeal.

Can I add new material to my case documents?

New material can be considered only if this material could not be referred to in the Court of Appeal or there was a justifiable reason for not doing so. The composition deciding on the matter will consider on a case-by-case basis whether new material can be considered.

Can I meet the composition or referendary for my case in person?

The Supreme Court receives pleadings in writing and the procedure itself is in most casees also carried out in writing. There is no possibility of meetings in person.

Is the composition considering a matter selected based on the special characteristics of the case?

Each case is appointed a referendary depending on the work load and specialised knowledge required by the case. The referendary prepares the matter and presents it to the composition considering the matter in the Supreme Court. The compositions are formed based on a monthly roster; therefore, the compositions are not fixed or formed for each individual case. The regulations governing the allocation of cases and formation of compositions are provided in the Supreme Court Rules of Procedure.

How much does the hearing of my case cost?

Read more about the court fees on the page Court fees in general courts .

Can the European Court of Human Rights help me?

A case can be appeled to the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) if you consider that your rights as defined in the European Convention of Human Rights have been violated. The appeal must be submitted within four months from the date of issue of the Supreme Court Decision.

Can I use English as a language of communication at the Supreme Court?

In the Supreme Court, the languages of procedure are Finnish and Swedish.

Published 6.2.2023